Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Workshops and paintings

I recently had the opportunity to participate in two plein air landscape painting workshops, both led by awesome teachers.  Of course my fellow students were a constant source of learning and support!  The first was at Bennington College and run by MassArt.   It was a week long residential setting and allowed me to get my bearings with plein air oil painting.  We had a lot of fun and worked very hard in the sun and heat, and a little rain.  The second was a weekend with Liz Wiltzen in Freeport, Maine, my old stomping grounds.  Again a great group of students and teacher.  The lessons from each of these were similar:  squint, do a value study,  focus on blocking in shapes, the sky is always the lightest, and be prepared to share some wine at the end of the day! Thanks to Liz Wiltzen-instructor in Freeport, and Christopher Chippendale from MassArt. Also thanks to Bobbi Heath who helped me get into the workshop late, saved me from a night in my tent in a thunderstorm, and shared breakfast at 6am at Becky's Diner in Portland.
Also I've joined a plein air painting group: Boston Area Plein Air Painting Group through Meet-up.com.that meets weekly and members paint in a variety of media, making it a rich experience.
I'll be posting more often now that I'm in the painting groove!

                                                              Bennington paintings:

10x10 oil on canvas
Mist and Mountains

11x14 oil on canvas
From the Studios

20x20 oil on canvas
High Notes

16x20 in. oil on canvas
The Park McCollough Mansion

Freeport paintings:

6x8 in value study in oil on raymar canvas board

8x10 in oil on masonite
one hour painting

5x7 oil on masonite
15 minute painting of the same site

6x8 in oil on canvas
25 strokes after color block-in



No comments:

Post a Comment